Sponsored by KPMG U.S. Foundation, Inc., KPMG LLP University Talent Acquisition and Beta Alpha Psi
Community Service Day (CSD) Project
As part of the 2021 Beta Alpha Psi (BAP) virtual annual meeting, KPMG U.S. Foundation, Inc., KPMG LLP University Talent Acquisition, and BAP are proud to again sponsor the CSD Project.
Remember how exciting it was to get new school supplies at the beginning of the school year? There’s nothing like a brand-new box of crayons! Unfortunately, children in under-served communities don’t always have access to the school supplies they need. According to Teach for America, for students whose families cannot afford supplies, coming to school unprepared can create social and emotional challenges, in addition to putting children at a disadvantage for learning.
How can we help?
For this year’s CSD Project, we are asking each Chapter to help us get school supplies to children in-need in YOUR own communities. We know that due to the Pandemic, not everyone can host in-person activities. Please participate in this project within your comfort level.
If you have any questions regarding the Community Service Day Project, please contact Della Moore.
What is the process?
1. Identify a Title I school or program in your community where 70% or more of the children they serve are from low-income households (local summer programs, Boys & Girls Clubs, etc.). Need help identifying a program? Reach out to Della Moore at KPMG.
- Contact the school to work through the details for your school supply donation (can you donate to the whole school, a few classrooms, adopt one classroom, etc.).
2. Get your school supplies – We have a few ideas on how you can obtain school supplies for your program. Remember: Consistency is important when donating school supplies. All children should receive the same number of each item - Example: If you are donating crayons, all children should receive the same number of crayons (24 box of crayons).
- Order school supply kits through our friends at Back to School America.
- Call or email Matthew Kurtzman at 312-848-5551 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Back to School American has a couple of options for you – Kits are $19 each plus shipping
- Build-a-Kit – where you assemble the kits
- Buy-a-Kit – pre-assembled kits that you can donate
- Order school supply bundles online – check out these options available on Amazon:
- Host a school supply drive
- Be specific when you ask for items. See below for an example school supply list (you can work directly with your recipient on their specific school supply needs):
- Box of #2 Pencils
- Box of Crayons - 24 Count
- Package of 3 Glue Sticks
- Fun-Shaped Erasers
- Washable Markers - 8 Count
- Children's Blunt-Nosed Scissors
- Pencil Case
- Wide-Ruled Spiral Bound Notebook
- 3-Ring Notebook
- Box of Colored Pencils - 24 Count
3. Deliver donation to school/program.
- Need a fun way to deliver your school supplies? We have a limited quantity of sling bags available to participating Chapters. No cost for bags or shipping! Each Chapter can order a maximum of 30 bags. Sling bags are available on a first come first served basis. When they are gone, they’re gone, so order yours today!
- Work with your recipient to schedule a date and time for your delivery.
4. Report details of your event back to us by July 23! Watch your inbox for details.
- We understand that you might not be able to deliver your school supplies to the program by July 23 due to summer break, but please have your event planned and obtain school supplies by this date.
- Keep track of how many school supplies you donate. We will capture this information prior to our annual meeting. We will need quantity of each item (pencils, erasers, glue sticks, etc.).
- Take pictures and share on Social Media #BAPGivingBack #BAPAnnual. We will also ask you to share your pictures with us for our annual meeting. Watch for a communication.
5. Your chapter may record one Reaching Out Activity for participating in the Community Service Day project for the annual meeting.
But wait! There's more!
We will randomly select 10 participating Chapters whose chosen school/program will receive a $1,000 gift card with First Book, where they can order brand new books! Winners will be announced during our Community Service Day Project portion of the Annual Meeting. Details to follow.
We can’t wait to hear about your events!
If you have any questions regarding the CSD Project, please contact Della Moore.
Giving Back in the Next 100
And don’t forget about our Giving Back in the Next 100 Initiative that was presented at the 2020 virtual annual meeting. During the meeting, we asked… What are YOU going to do to truly give back and make a difference in your community? Our Challenge was for each chapter to track the chapter and individual member’s volunteer hours. There’s even a spreadsheet to get you started (feel free to use your own form). Prior to this year’s annual meeting, we’ll send out a communication to capture this information, and it will be shared at our Annual Meeting Kickoff.
Need ideas on how to volunteer? Check out our Community Impact tab on the BAP website.
We can’t wait to hear about all of the great things you have done this past year. Make sure to share your volunteer efforts on social media using the tag #BAPGivingBack.
Thank you for all you do!