Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Sponsored by IRS
Deadline: Monday, May 16, 2022 by 11:59pm EST
The VITA Program is an excellent opportunity for Beta Alpha Psi chapters to gain exposure on campus and in the community. As an added benefit, chapter members that volunteer gain valuable practical experience in income tax preparation which is a life skill. There are several ways to offer the Program and remain social distanced. See Process section below.
Non-Contact Process Award – Recognizes BAP chapters that participated in non-traditional methods listed below.
Return Preparation – Recognizes BAP chapters that prepared more than 500 returns (combination of Traditional, non-Contact, and 1040NR/EZ)
1040NR/EZ Preparation – Recognizes BAP chapters that prepare 1040NR/EZ returns
Regional Award – Recognizes regions that have at least 40% chapters participation in VITA Program
Volunteer Hours – Recognizes the top three BAP Chapters with the most VITA volunteer hours.
1) Sites coordinated by BAP chapter
2) Sites coordinated by community partner
Superior Award – Presented to the best performing BAP chapter that excelled in VITA return preparation and volunteer hours.
All chapters are eligible to participate in VITA.
VITA has several ways for chapters to participate and adhere to social distancing:
- Traditional – Chapter members provide free income tax preparation assistance to chapter members, students, and the community. These sites are generally located on campus.
- Facilitated Self Assistant (FSA) – Allows students to prepare and electronically file their own tax return with the aid of a VITA certified volunteer, if needed.
- Virtual – Taxpayers and student volunteers are not in the same location. Tax documents are securely transmitted to VITA site for preparation.
- Drop-Off – Return documents are dropped off at VITA site and prepared at later time.
- Remotely via the Internet – VITA Software is placed chapter’s website for students to prepare their own returns. BAP certified volunteers should be available to provide assistance, if needed.
- File/Screen Sharing – Via a secured electronic method, taxpayers and student volunteers use a screen sharing platform for return preparation.
Each return prepared through these methods are added to the overall return preparation numbers for special recognition considerations.
Winners are determined by the IRS.
VITA Reports are due Monday, May 16, 2022. Please complete the form here.
Other ways to participate in VITA to give back to the community
Read this article from the IRS about how to volunteer as a tax preparer to gain skills and help the community.